Thursday, July 25, 2024

Kobold Names (or Hobbit names)

If you read this blog lately, you know that I call hobbits "kobolds" in my world. I use lots and lots and lots of kobold NPCs, they are possibly the most common encounter which offers a social approach.

At first, years ago (that seem centuries) I used tobacco brands to name them (Chesterfield and Winston have named more than one little fellow). When the good ones were gone, I switched to revolver names:

1. Arminius
2. Astra
3. Beaumont
4. Colombo
5. Colt
6. Galand
7. Gward
8. Kodiak
9. LeMat
10. Llama
11. Magnum
12. Manurhin
13. Mateba
14. Mauser
15. Remington
16. Rhino
17. Röhm
18. Starr
19. Taurus
20. Zeliska

But even those worn out fast. Of course sometimes I just make up something or make players come up with something (For example, Pomelo, Cümpao, Ubuntu, Firefox, Diamante are all kobold PCs or NPCs in our campaign).

Today I found out a third source of kobold/hobbit names: Picking from the most common graffiti names around the city: usually they are chosen for being short and powerful. The problem is that these are very ubiquitous in my zone, and it might be weird for my players if I use them at the game. So, let's make a deal: I offer this to you, so you can name your hobbits, and you write on the comments a handful of graffiti names from your city/part of the world. Deal?

1. Bult
2. Rasel
3. Yes
4. Osak
5. Erba
6. Trip
7. Duke
8. Safe
9. Taro
10. Maiz

ig:davidthierre. Technically a goblin for me is close enough



No comments:

Post a Comment